Electrical problem suspected in rural Clear Lake barn fire

This barn on the Shannon and John Furst property was completely destroyed by fire Saturday morning.  The Fursts say they will miss the barn, but are thankful for the efforts of Clear Lake and Ventura firefighters who protected their home.

Clear Lake firefighters worked for over two hours, but could not save a barn engulfed in flames Saturday morning at a rural Clear Lake farm.

The fire department was dispatched to 19161 Hickory Ave., located just north of Clear Lake off 32nd St., for a report of a barn fire, at approximately 10:04 a.m. Saturday.

Upon arrival the barn was fully involved in fire and efforts were focused on protecting nearby structures from further damage. The residence, two grain silos and a workshop did, however, sustain heat damage while the barn is a total loss.

The barn had been used to store construction materials and equipment.

The property, which was insured, is owned by Shannon and John Furst.  According to fire officials, the couple had attempted to control the fire before the Fire Department’s arrival.

No injuries occurred.

A news release issued by the CLFD stated the fire began in the loft area of the barn and is believed to have been electrical in origin.

The CLFD responded to the scene with three Engine Companies and one command vehicle with 10 firefighters. Ventura Fire Department was requested for mutual aid due to the rural location of the incident and no nearby fire hydrants. They responded with two engine companies and seven firefighters.

Comments are closed.