Two OT losses for Lions; bounce back to top Comets

    The Clear Lake boys saw two wins slip through their hands, but weren’t about to let a third get away.  They rebounded from two overtime losses last week to post a convincing victory over Charles City.  The Lions are currently 10-10 overall and 9-8 in the North Central Conference.  They were slated to play their last regular season game Tuesday at Algona before

hosting Oelwein on Monday in the opening round of post-season tournament play.  If the Lions beat Oelwein, they would play the winner of the Waverly-Charles City game on the Thursday, Feb. 23, at Mason City.
WC 64, CL 58 (2 OT)
    The Lions pushed fifth ranked (3A) Webster City to double overtime Tuesday, Feb. 7.  The Lynx remained unbeaten in the NCC with a 64-58 victory.
    Clear Lake was down by three-points late in the game, but Luke Schiller hit a big three-pointer to force overtime.  In the first OT, Webster City’s Johnny Davis returned the favor and pushed the game into a second extra period. 
    “I was proud of the way we battled the number one team in the conference.  We gave them as good a look as anybody, but we just couldn’t close it out,” said Coach Kevin Kahler.  “I thought we competed extremely well all night against a very good team.  We really had them on the ropes in the first overtime, but Davis’ step back three seemed to take the momentum from us.”
    With the win, Webster City (16-2, 16-0) clinched at least a share of the NCC title.
    The Lions demonstrated a never-quit attitude to send the game to OT.  They never led on the scoreboard until only 1:40 remained in the first overtime.  That’s when Spencer Davidson scored two of his team-high 14 points.  The Lions then held onto a 56-53 lead until Davidsons’ shot with nine seconds to go sent the game to a second OT.  The shot seemed to give the Lynx momentum which they used to outscore the Lions 8-2 in the second OT. 
    Bryson Hamilton joined Davidson in double figures with 11 points.  Ozzie Adams finished with nine, Chase Crosby had eight and Schiller scored seven points.  Tanner Tusha was next with five points and Gavin Sheakley and Pete Swenson had two apiece.
    Hamilton and Tusha provided a powerful one-two punch on the boards.  Each player pulled down 12 rebounds.

Humboldt 73, CL 72 (OT)
    The Lions were involved in their fourth consecutive overtime contest Friday night against Humboldt.  A well-defended shot at the buzzer lifted the Wildcats, 73-72.
    “We didn’t execute during the last three or four minutes of regulation,” said Coach Kahler, whose team was ahead 57-50 with 3:30 left. “Everything just fell right for them.”
    Humboldt’s  Michael Orness hit a three-pointer at the end of regulation to send the game to overtime.  
    Kahler said he felt his team played well enough to win in overtime, but the ball and fate bounced Humboldt’s way.
    The Lions were up by two points in overtime with just eight seconds left.  That’s when Humboldt drove the length of the floor, worked the ball inside, then kicked it out for a three-point attempt. 
    “We had a hand in Orness’ face, but he still managed to hit a 24-footer with less than a second left on the clock when the ball left his hand,” said Kahler.  “I’m not sure that I’ve ever been more stunned after a game.  We had it fairly well defended; the kid- Read More Via e-Edition

Comments are closed.