No. 1 Lions top No. 2 Lynx

The battle between Class 3A’s number one and number two ranked teams lived up to its billing.  
    After a fast and furious start, during which the Lynx turned the ball over three times and helped the Lions to a commanding 21-7 lead, Webster City rallied in the second half and finished just one point short of the upset, 28-27.
    The win stretched Clear Lake’s state-best regular season win streak to 39 games and its consecutive win count in district games to 31.  It also puts the Lions in the driver’s seat with two games remaining in the regular season.  The Lions (7-0) will host Hampton-Dumont this week, then finish district play at Boone.  But Friday night was all about Webster City.

    The Lions opened the game ready to make a statement: Not in our house.
    The Lion defense forced a three-and-out on Webster City’s first possession, highlighted by a “snot bubbler of a hit” made on Lynx standout Keagan Parks (as Dave Theiss described it for those listening on radio station KRIB 1490AM).  Just two plays after Webster City’s punt quarterback Ozzie Adams faked the Lynx on the option and raced 56 yards for a touchdown.  Brandon Lo’s kick was good for a quick 7-0 Lion lead.
    Webster City’s next possession was cut short by Jerame Carlson.  The senior defenseman intercepted a pass in Lion territory which Adams again quickly translated into a TD.  The Lion QB ran the ball in from eight yards out, followed by another PAT for a 14-0 lead.
    The Lion defense made another big stop after the Lynx began to move the call on their third possession.  With the ball on the Lion 14, Webster City went for it on fourth and two, but an incomplete pass ended the threat.  A defensive stand by the Lynx seemed to provide a lift which the offense turned into a score.  Keagan slipped out of a tackle and raced to the endzone.  The PAT made the score 14-7 as the first quarter ended.
    Webster City’s defense remained strong at the start of the second quarter.  The Lions were held out of the endzone on the half yard line.  With their backs against the Clear Lake goalie, Webster City was able to punch the ball out to near midfield.   But the Lion defense quickly turned the momentum back in Clear Lake’s favor.  Tanner Tusha recovered a fumble to end the drive.  On the strength of their passing game, the Lions moved the ball 64 yards and Adams scored his third TD of the night.
    Another Webster City fumble, again recovered by Tusha on the 32, produced Clear Lake’s second touchdown of the quarter.  A nine yard pass to Michael Keeran and the PAT put the score at 28-7 at the halftime break.
    Webster City mounted its comeback early in the third quarter and kept the pressure on.  Their first score came on a five-yard touchdown pass from Jonny Davis to Caleb Crouthamel. But the Lions tore through the line on the extra-point try and got a hand on the kick, sending it wide and putting the score at 28-13.
    As it turned out, that one point meant all the difference.
    A rare mistake by Adams-- an interception midway through the third quarter-- fueled a Lynx drive which ended with a touchdown.  Webster City went for a two point conversion which would have cut the Lions’ lead to seven, but Tusha again came - Read More Via e-Edition

Comments are closed.