Cardinals go 1-2 in recent soccer action

Webster City 1, GHV 0

The Cardinals lost in a 1-0 shootout against Webster City on Tuesday, May 20.  The game was a tough one, as GHV was missing four starters who were either competing in the State Track Meet or out with injuries, leaving the team with only two substitutions.

“Despite all those factors, we played a great match,” said Coach Eric Williams.  “The young men played their hearts out.”

Highlights for the night included goalkeeper JJ Loschen having a career game with 45 saves, setting a new school record.  Another high point was the defense, led by Allan Devora who recorded countless tackles and ball deflections.  

“Most of the saves JJ had were easy ones, because the defense wouldn’t let them close enough to get a good shot on goal,” said Williams.  “Even after the match the referees said that we played a great match and that it was a lot of fun to watch and be a part of.”

Teddy Zrostlik recorded two shots on goal.  Turner Albertson had two shots on goal and Patrick Terhark had one shot on goal.  Corey Houptman also had two shots on goal.

The Cardinals have won three of the last four games and have outscored their opponents 16-7.

“I believe we are peaking at just the right time heading into District play,” said Williams.


GHV 3, Mason City 2

It’s always fun when you can beat a bigger school and that was how it was Friday, May 23, when the Cardinals topped Mason City, 3-2.

GHV may have started slow, but got things rolling 20 minutes into the match when Shawn Murphy had a great throw to Teddy Zrostlik for a goal.  Three minutes later, Zrostlik had a strong corner kick to Murphy who scored again for the Cardinals.

Two minutes later, GHV may have relaxed a little too much after their two goals, allowing Mason City to find the back of the net.  With five minutes left in the first half, Blake Johnson sent the ball forward.  It was deflected off a Mason City defender and found the inside of the net, 3-1.

The second half was fast paced, with the two teams trading shots on goal.  Mason City scored the final shot at the 66 minute mark for the final, 3-2.

“Tonight was fun for the fact that some new faces played and we are - Read More Via e-Edition

Comments are closed.