Mohawks stumble on Lion’s Field


Effective adjustments, probably combined with an impassioned halftime speech, lifted Clear Lake to a 41-20 victory over Mason City Friday night in the season opener for both teams.  

The win was similar to last year’s meeting, which also resulted in the Lions breaking open a tight game in the second half for a victory in their first meeting in more than 80 years.

“I’m proud of our kids and coaches,” said Head Coach Fred Wieck after the game.  “The adjustments our coaches made at halftime worked and the kids believed it and stuck to it.”

The Mohawks appeared ready to avenge last year’s loss, as their defense forced the Lions to punt on their opening possession.  The Mohawks’ Miguel Recinos connected on a 50-yard field goal to give his team a 3-0 lead at the 8:44 mark in the first quarter.

The Mohawks used a pass-heavy attack in the first half which was effective. They were moving the ball again in the first when a fumbled snap was scooped up by the Lions’ Pete Swenson, who rumbled 40-yards for a score.  Logan Kracht added the extra point and the Lions were up, 7-3.  

But Mason City scored two more times in the first quarter.  Matt Danielson caught a 12-yard pass from Matt Meyer and Recinos kicked the PAT with 2:36 to go in the period.  Just one minute later,  Andrew Bartel ran the ball in from three-yards out and Recinos’ kick was good for a 17-10 Mohawks lead after one quarter.

The Lions capitalized on a fumble after a Mohawk reception early in the second quarter.  Clear Lake recovered the ball on their own 16 and mounted a touchdown drive.  The drive included a huge fourth down conversion, as quarterback Brock Adams tossed to Carter Hand on fourth and eight at the Mohawks’ 30.  Hand sprinted 11 yards for the first down.  A classic Statue of Liberty play between Adams and Chandler Diercks moved the ball to the Mohawk 10 and three plays later Adams completed a nine-yard pass to Alex Webb to pull the Lions within four, 17-13.  Kracht’s kick was blocked.

Mason City’s Meyer continued his air show as halftime neared, but a fumbled pass reception gave the Lions the ball back.  

Adams had an interception in the final seconds of the half and Mason City was able to set up a 42-yard field goal attempt by Recinos.  The effort hit the left upright and fell in, giving the Mohawks a 20-13 halftime lead.

But the second half belonged to the Lions.

Clear Lake scored three times in the first 10:39, with Swenson, Adams and Webb all reaching the end zone.  The Lion offense accumulated 162-yards in that flurry, while Mason City could manage just five-yards of offense.  The Lions ended the third - Read More Via e-Edition

Comments are closed.