Fire empties Clear Lake apartment building

The Clear Lake Fire Department responded to a fire in an eight-unit apartment building early Tuesday morning in Clear Lake. 

Residents at 2102 14th Ave. N. were evacuated as firefighters worked to extinguish an electrical fire in the ceiling of the apartment occupied by Trent Schmitt.  The report of the fire came into the Clear Lake dispatch at 4:03 a.m. Tuesday. There were no injuries. 

The apartment building is owned by Daniel Jackson, of Clear Lake.

The fire was confined to the attic space above the second story apartment bathroom and bedroom, as it had extended into the insulation of the building. Fire Chief Doug Meyers said the fire was quickly extinguished but considerable time was spent overhauling and removing the insulation from the attic space.  All other residents were allowed to return to their apartments Tuesday morning. Damage is estimated at $8,000 loss. 

The smoke detector in the apartment failed to sound, reported Chief Meyers.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a failed ceiling mounted exhaust fan in the bathroom that overheated and spread to the surrounding blown in insulation. 

The fire department was assisted by the Clear Lake Police Department and Alliant Energy.

Comments are closed.