Combustibles on stove blamed for fire that destroyed mobile home

(Above) Clear Lake and Ventura firefighters responded to a Saturday morning fire which completely destroyed a mobile home at 1500 South Shore Drive.-Reporter photo by Chris Barragy.

A gas stove burner which ignited combustibles on the stove stop has been determined to be the cause of a fire which completely destroyed a mobile home early Saturday morning.  No one was home at the time of the fire and no one was injured.

The Clear Lake and Ventura Fire Departments were dispatched to 1500 South Shore Drive, Lot 22, at 7:31 a.m. Saturday for a reported structure fire.

The home, owned by Justin Lindner, was fully involved when Clear Lake police arrived first on the scene.

Firefighters made entry through the side door on the south side of the trailer and encountered heavy smoke and fire, according to CLFD Public Information Officer Josh Pokorney.   They were able to initially knock down the fire, then spent the next few hours making sure all of the hot spots were out.  Crews were on the scene for approximately three hours.

“The sub-zero temperatures made it very difficult, as things kept freezing up,” said Pokorney.

The home was a total loss and Lindner reported he did not have insurance.   The American Red Cross was contacted to help the family.

One cat died in the fire, and one cat and a dog were listed as missing following the fire.

Estimated damage is $5,000 for the contents of the home and $25,000 for the trailer.

The Clear Lake Fire Department was assisted on scene by the Clear Lake Police Department, Ventura Fire Department called for automatic mutual aide, and Alliant Energy.

The CLFD responded with 16 firefighters and two medics aboard a Ladder Company, a Rescue Company, Command Vehicle and ambulance.  Ventura Fire Department brought an Engine Company and five firefighters.

Comments are closed.