Air superiority gives Lions edge over Webster City

By Scott Watson

In a game of defensive prowess, the No. 5 (Class 3A) Clear Lake team (6-0) defeated No. 8 Webster City (5-1) in a 22-8 display of air superiority.  Poor weather Friday night resulted in the game being postponed until Saturday morning.  

Despite starting the game an hour earlier than scheduled, weather delayed play.  The two teams waited in the locker rooms for approximately four hours before the game was officially postponed at 9:10 p.m.

Both offenses lacked the ground game dominance they’re used to imposing, each totaling 120 rushing yards.  The Lion advantage was found in special teams and third down and long situations through the sure arm of quarterback Brock Adams.  

The Lions’ stout triple-option run game was rendered ineffective by the Lynx defense, forcing them to rely on the pass game for results. Adams threw for 111 yards on the night, completing four of his seven passes on third and long plays to convert the first down. A fourth down pass to Carter Hand resulted in a touchdown to close the first half. 

Hand secured each of the Lions’ touchdowns, two rushing and one receiving on a flea-flicker pass from Adams. The Clear Lake run game picked up at the end, securing 46 of its 120 yards in the final drive of the game.

The Webster City offense was slow to fire up, going three and out on nearly every possession of the first half. They were plagued by a stout Lion defense which effectively shut down the Lynx passing game, holding them to 52 yards in the air.  The hard-hitting defense controlled the middle of the field against a Webster City, single wing offense, resulting in four turnovers.  Connor Larson, the premier running back for the Lynx, was held to a mere 60 yards rushing after leading the district all season.

Field position was everything Saturday morning. The Webster City offense was pinned down in their own territory.  Nearly every drive began with their heels in the red zone.  Poor field position resulted in a safety in the second quarter when a high snap went over the punters’ head and into the end zone. 

Webster City’s lone touchdown came on a fourth-quarter 72-yard drive.

The Lions were led on offense by Adams, who passed for 111 yards, completing seven of 13 passes and one touchdown. It was clear Adams saw the entire field, completing one pass each to Tamarik Lee for 27 yards, Chandler Diercks for 22 yards, Ernie Miszewski for 19 and Hand for nine yards and a touchdown. Chase Lester was the lone receiver with two catches totaling 22 yards. 

The Clear Lake ground game was lead by Alex Gonzalez with four carries for 61 yards and Hand with 28 yards on 13 carries and two rushing touchdowns. Adams had 25 yards on eight carries and Lester contributed 19 yards on three carries.

The Lion defense was led by Pete Swenson with 11 tackles. Connor Nosbisch had nine tackles and a sack. Mitchell Keeran had nine tackles, as well. Contributing seven tackles apiece was Zachary Zwiefel and Lee. Lee also tallied a sack. Makean Bang had six tackles. Lester had six tackles and a fumble recovery. Tim Franken had five tackles and a sack. 

Recording interceptions for the Clear Lake defense was Bang and Diercks. Diercks picked up 16 yards following his pick, Bang had two.

The game, however, did not end on a high note as offensive lineman and two-year starter, Levi Pinheiro, exited the game in the fourth quarter on a stretcher with a dislocated ankle and broken leg.

Clear Lake continues conference play this week as they travel to Charles City (1-4) for a 7:30 p.m. game Friday.

Comments are closed.