George R. Bruns
George R. “Dick” Bruns, 86, of Clear Lake, died Sunday, May 26, 2013 at the Oakwood Care Center in Clear Lake. Per Dick’s wishes, cremation rites have been accorded and no formal services will be planned.
George Richard Bruns, son of Herman and Mabel (Fister) Bruns, was born Sept. 28, 1926 in Mason City. Dick graduated from Mason City High School in 1944 and was a member of the 1943 state basketball champion’s “Dream Team”, also winning championships in tennis. Dick enlisted in the Army Air Force. After basic training, he served in occupied Japan for a year. He continued his education at the Mason City Junior College and became a journeyman bricklayer. On Oct. 5, 1947, he was united in marriage to Melba “Arlene” Zook at the Clear Lake Methodist Church and they were blessed with two daughters, Barbara and Kathi.
Dick built houses and the Bruns Par 3 Golf Course, now known as Pine Creek just north of Mason City. After selling the golf course, he was recruited by Seedorf Masonry Inc. to supervise the building of the Mason City K-Mart and future commercial ventures. He retired in 1988 after 23 years.
Dick was an avid golfer and fisherman. During his retirement, he and Arlene enjoyed traveling to Texas, where they wintered for 22 years. He was a member of the First Congregational Church in Mason City, VFW Post 733, International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craft Workers, Mason City Elks Club, Mason City Country Club, Highland Park Golf Club, and All Vets Golf Club in Clear Lake.
He will be greatly missed by his wife of 65 years, Arlene Bruns; daughters, Barbara (Michael) Wathan of Erie, Pa., and Kathi (Terry) Margo of Eden Prairie, Minn.; grandchildren, Bradley Wathan of Erie, Pa., and Ashley and Alysia Margo both of Eden Prairie, Minn.; along with two sisters, Arnita (Harlan) Searle of Mason City and Margot Bramhall of Thornton, Colo.; along with several nieces, nephews, and cousins.
He was preceded in death by his parents; brother in infancy; and brother-in-law, Willis Bramhall.
Ward Van Slyke Colonial Chapel, Clear Lake, was in charge of arrangements.